Foods to Avoid
Avoiding certain foods while wearing braces has many benefits. Board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan educates his patients in the Bucks County and Philadelphia area on what foods should be avoided to ensure optimum results of their orthodontic treatments.
You may be reluctant to give up your favorite foods when you get braces, but doing so has many benefits that make the sacrifice worthwhile. Following our instructions on foods to avoid will:
- Simplify brushing and flossing
- Keep your teeth and gums healthy
- Minimize the risk of damaging your braces
Sticky Foods to Avoid
- Sugar Daddies
- Regular and sugar-free chewing gum
- Tootsie Rolls
Hard Foods to Avoid
- Crunchy (hard) taco shells
- Raw (uncooked) carrots (unless cut into very small pieces)
- Corn on the cob
- Pizza crust
- Jolly Ranchers
- French bread crust and rolls
- Apples (unless cut into very small pieces)
Minimize These Sugary Foods
- Ice cream
Enjoy These Treats Once a Day
Fortunately, there are some foods that you only need to cut back on or that can replace those foods that you need to avoid.
- Drinks with sugar
- Sweetened tea
Check Your Braces Each Day
You should routinely check your braces for any broken, bent or loose wires and brackets. Pay attention to how your lips and cheeks feel as irritation and sores in these areas can point to a problem with your braces. If you find any problems with your braces or have sore areas, contact our office immediately to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kadan. You can also review our Emergency Info page for some guidance about managing issues that may arise.
How Much Does Orthodontic Treatment Cost in Bucks County and Philadelphia?
After your consultation with Dr. Kadan, we provide a complete cost of your orthodontic treatment. By following his instructions and the list of foods to avoid, you minimize the risk of damaging your braces and extending your treatment time. If you do need an emergency appointment to repair your braces, the fees may not be included in your original cost or covered by your insurance.
Payment can be made by:
- Cash, personal check and credit card
- Financing through CareCredit®
- In-house financing options
We are an in-network provider for many of today’s top dental insurance companies. Using an orthodontist that is in your dental care network benefits you by:
- Providing lower out-of-pocket expenses
- Saving you time and money by completing and filing all necessary claim forms at no extra charge to you
- Accepting the payment we negotiate with the insurance company as payment in full
- Never sending you a bill for the charges that are above the negotiated rate, known as balance billing
- Expecting you to only pay your applicable co-payment, deductible and co-insurance according to the terms of your policy
- Letting you pay only for your portion rather than expecting you to pay the full cost and get reimbursed by the insurance company
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The consultation that you have with Dr. Kadan includes a complete examination, X-rays and imaging with the iTero® Element™ system that creates a three-dimensional model of your teeth and jaw. Based on his findings, Dr. Kadan decides on the orthodontic treatments that will improve jaw and teeth alignment. Your treatment plan may include orthognathic surgery, braces, and other orthodontic appliances.
Why Choose Sam Kadan Orthodontics
Dr. Kadan is a board-certified orthodontist, and only one in three orthodontists pursue board certification by demonstrating a commitment to excellence in orthodontic care, as well as continuing education. Dr. Kadan’s exceptional patient care has earned him a position on Philadelphia Magazine’s list of Top Dentists for 2016, winner of the 2016 Happening List and 2015 designation as an Invisalign® Elite Provider. He completed his orthodontic specialty training at the University of Rochester, and he currently holds a faculty position at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine to help develop the skills and expertise of future orthodontists.
Dr. Kadan has designed his facility to reflect his approach to patient care, and we look forward to giving you a tour as part of your consultation and introduction to our practice.
One of the hardest parts of having braces is remaining aware of the foods to avoid, but the benefits far outweigh the short-term sacrifice. To learn more about orthodontic treatment at Sam Kadan Orthodontics, contact us to schedule a consultation at our Chalfont, Doylestown or Harleysville office.