Early treatment is recommended for children between seven and 10 years old to address problems that have the potential to complicate orthodontic treatment in the future. Board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan specializes in early treatment for children in the Bucks County and Philadelphia area.
When is the Best Time to Begin Orthodontics?
Orthodontic treatment can be performed at any age, but the American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children should have their first orthodontic evaluation around seven years old. Having your child visit the orthodontist for the first time at this stage of development is beneficial because problems can be identified and corrected before the jaw and teeth fully develop. If the structures continue to develop with any abnormalities, interventions become much more complex and extensive. The evaluation with Dr. Kadan may or may not uncover any issues, but you will have the knowledge you need to have peace of mind.
What are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Evaluation?
Around seven years old is when potential orthodontic problems are detectable. Early and routine evaluations by a board-certified orthodontist mean detecting problems early and enhancing development with appropriate treatments.
Why is Age 7 Considered the Optimal Time for Screening?
The first adult molars start to develop around age seven, and these teeth serve as the foundation for your child’s bite pattern. Dr. Kadan evaluates your child’s bite development, both front-to-back and side-to-side. He can easily locate issues that indicate an open bite, overcrowding, overbite and other orthodontic problems.
What are the Advantages of Interceptive Treatment?
Interceptive treatment means that Dr. Kadan is being proactive in remedying problems before they have an adverse and permanent effect on your child’s bite and tooth alignment. Specific outcomes of interceptive treatment are:
- Maintaining adequate space for erupting teeth
- Increasing the space while the teeth are erupting to alleviate overcrowding
- Minimizing the time that your child will wear braces as a teenager
- Enhancing the development of the facial bones and jaw
- Reducing or eliminating the need for tooth extractions
- Minimizing the protrusion of the teeth to alleviate the risk of trauma and injury to the mouth, teeth and jaw
Are You a Candidate for Orthodontic Treatment?
The most recognized benefit of orthodontic treatment is having an attractive smile, but the benefits extend beyond the aesthetics. Orthodontic treatment improves the bite pattern and alignment of the teeth and jaw. Patients are able to maintain their oral health, speak more clearly and chew their food properly. Orthodontic treatment also has a great benefit to a person’s self-confidence.
Why Should Malocclusions Be Treated?
Without treatment, malocclusions may result in:
- Protrusion of the teeth that result in a high incidence of injuries to the lips, cheeks and teeth
- Open bites that impact speech and result in tongue-thrusting
- Crowded teeth that interfere with proper brushing and flossing, allowing bacteria and plaque to accumulate on the teeth and gums
- Crossbites that lead to excessive wear on the teeth
How Much Does Early Treatment Cost in Bucks County and Philadelphia?
Early treatment may seem like an additional cost, but these interventions help save money in the future. The orthodontic problems that are corrected with early treatment prevent future issues that are corrected with more extensive treatments. After your consultation with Dr. Kadan, we will explain the cost of early treatment, as well as any treatments that may be required when your child reaches the teenage years. Early treatment is typically covered by insurance, and you will be responsible for a portion of the cost in co-payments, deductibles, and co-insurance.
Payment can be made by:
- Cash, personal check and credit card
- Financing through CareCredit®
- In-house financing options
We are an in-network provider for many of today’s top dental insurance companies. Using an orthodontist that is in your dental care network benefits you by:
- Providing lower out-of-pocket expenses
- Saving you time and money by completing and filing all necessary claim forms at no extra charge to you
- Accepting the payment we negotiate with the insurance company as payment in full
- Never sending you a bill for the charges that are above the negotiated rate, known as balance billing
- Expecting you to only pay your applicable co-payment, deductible and co-insurance according to the terms of your policy
- Letting you pay only for your portion rather than expecting you to pay the full cost and get reimbursed by the insurance company
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The consultation that you have with Dr. Kadan includes a complete examination, X-rays and imaging with the iTero® Element™ system that creates a three-dimensional model of your teeth and jaw. Based on his findings, Dr. Kadan may recommend early treatment. He will describe why the interventions are necessary, the long-term benefits and the problems that could arise without treatment.
Why Choose Sam Kadan Orthodontics
Dr. Kadan is a board-certified orthodontist, and only one in three orthodontists pursue board certification by demonstrating a commitment to excellence in orthodontic care, as well as continuing education. Dr. Kadan’s exceptional patient care has earned him a position on Philadelphia Magazine’s list of Top Dentists for 2016, winner of the 2016 Happening List and 2015 designation as an Invisalign® Elite Provider. He completed his orthodontic specialty training at the University of Rochester, and he currently holds a faculty position at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine to help develop the skills and expertise of future orthodontists.
Dr. Kadan has designed his facility to reflect his approach to patient care, and we look forward to giving you a tour as part of your consultation and introduction to our practice.
Early treatment is recommended for children who display signs of potential orthodontic problems while their permanent teeth are erupting. Board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan specializes in detecting these problems early and performing treatments that enhance jaw and tooth development in children. Children should be evaluated by an orthodontist beginning at age seven. If your child is at this age or older and has not visited an orthodontist, contact us today to schedule a consultation at our Chalfont, Doylestown or Harleysville office.