Do I Need Braces?
The one question that every patient has before their consultation appointment is, “Do I need braces?” Although this question is best answered by board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan, some basic information will help you feel more confident about scheduling a consultation. We have offices that are conveniently located in Chalfont, Doylestown, and Harleysville to better serve the Bucks County and Philadelphia area.
How Do I Know If I Need Braces?
An examination by board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan will give you a definitive answer to the question, “Do I need braces?” You should schedule a consultation:
- If you are an adult who is unhappy with your smile, have problems speaking and chewing or experience jaw pain.
- If you are a parent of a child between seven and 10 years of age or a child in the teen years.
Your family dentist is also an excellent resource for determining if you need braces. Regular visits with your dentist help with early detection of orthodontic issues.
When Should I Get Braces?
Adults can get braces at any time since the jaw and teeth are fully developed. For children under 18 years of age, the best time depends on how the teeth and jaws develop naturally. Children and adolescents should have routine dental examinations to monitor for potential problems that require orthodontic treatment.
Should I Get Braces for My Child? If So, When?
As a board-certified orthodontist, Dr. Sam Kadan recommends that children have their first orthodontic appointment between seven and 10 years old. The appointment includes X-rays, imaging and other diagnostics that are used to determine if your child needs braces or other orthodontic interventions. Dr. Kadan may recommend two-phase braces or delaying treatment until your child is a teenager.
What Type of Braces Should I Get?
Sam Kadan Orthodontics offers several types of braces for children, teenagers and adults, and the most common are traditional metal braces.
Understanding Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are comprised of:
- Bands that go around the tooth
- Brackets that are attached to the tooth
- Buccal tubes that are attached to the molar band
- Archwires that connect the brackets
- Elastic chains that are used to hold arch wires to the brackets
- Rubber bands (elastics) that help reposition the upper and lower teeth
Other Types of Braces at Sam Kadan Orthodontics
Dr. Kadan also offers:
How Much Do Braces Cost in Bucks County and Philadelphia?
The cost of your braces depends on the type of braces and number of follow-up appointments. After your consultation, we will provide a total cost that includes any anticipated coverage by your dental insurance. You may be responsible for the entire cost or just a portion.
Payment can be made by:
- Cash, personal check and credit card
- Financing through CareCredit®
- In-house financing options
We are an in-network provider for many of today’s top dental insurance companies. Using an orthodontist that is in your dental care network benefits you by:
- Providing lower out-of-pocket expenses
- Saving you time and money by completing and filing all necessary claim forms at no extra charge to you
- Accepting the payment we negotiate with the insurance company as payment in full
- Never sending you a bill for the charges that are above the negotiated rate, known as balance billing
- Expecting you to only pay your applicable co-payment, deductible and co-insurance according to the terms of your policy
- Letting you pay only for your portion rather than expecting you to pay the full cost and get reimbursed by the insurance company
What to Expect During Your Consultation
The consultation that you have with Dr. Kadan includes a complete examination, X-rays and imaging with the iTero® Element™ system that creates a three-dimensional model of your teeth and jaw. Based on his findings, Dr. Kadan decides on the orthodontic treatments that will improve jaw and teeth alignment. Your treatment plan may include orthognathic surgery, braces, and other orthodontic appliances.
Why Choose Sam Kadan Orthodontics
Dr. Kadan is a board-certified orthodontist, and only one in three orthodontists pursue board certification by demonstrating a commitment to excellence in orthodontic care, as well as continuing education. Dr. Kadan’s exceptional patient care has earned him a position on Philadelphia Magazine’s list of Top Dentists for 2016, winner of the 2016 Happening List and 2015 designation as an Invisalign® Elite Provider. He completed his orthodontic specialty training at the University of Rochester, and he currently holds a faculty position at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine to help develop the skills and expertise of future orthodontists.
Dr. Kadan has designed his facility to reflect his approach to patient care, and we look forward to giving you a tour as part of your consultation and introduction to our practice.
If you are asking yourself, “Do I need braces?” we invite you to learn more about the benefits of getting treatment by board-certified orthodontist Dr. Sam Kadan. Contact us today to schedule a consultation at our Chalfont, Doylestown or Harleysville office.